Construction of a new substation in the centre of Berlin
We are investing in the future near you and thus in maintaining a secure electricity grid.
The city of Berlin is evolving every day. New districts are being built with hotels, offices, apartments and infrastructure buildings. In order to be able to supply all these new buildings with energy safely and reliably, we are building a new substation in the heart of Berlin: the Voltairestraße substation.
In the past, the location, right next to the underground railway arches, was occupied by the Alexanderplatz substation, which was used as a party location after it was decommissioned. However, the increasing demand for energy necessitated the construction of a new substation in the city centre.
A substation converts the current from high voltage (110 kV) to medium voltage (10 kV) so that it can then be distributed more precisely in the urban area.
The new building fulfils the monument preservation requirements and blends well into the cityscape with an interesting terrace look.
Cornerstones of construction
- Until October 2021 – Demolition of the former Alexanderplatz substation
- September 2022 – Completion of the excavation (groundbreaking)
- March 2024 – Completion of the building construction (topping out ceremony)
- June 2024 – Completion of outdoor facilities
- June 2025 – Completion of the plant’s electrical equipment
- June 2026 – Commissioning of the substationbis
Monday - Friday
8am - 5pm